Wednesday, May 20, 2009

3200 (29100/200800)

200 swim (warmup)
200 pull (warmup)
3 x 50 free, streamline to flags
3 x 50 back, four dolphin kicks off the wall
2 x 75, back/free/back
500 free
100 free
100 pull
500 free
2 x 100 free
500 free
3 x 50 free, head up (open water practice - warmdown)

Total: 2900 SCM (~ 3200 SCY)

I totally thought the yardage today was shorter than Monday, but they were identical, huh.

I am totally wrecked today. Yesterday I rode my bike to work, then afterward to the bank and then to Runner's Roost to reserve my wetsuit for Saturday and then home from there. I'm guestimating about 8-ish miles from RR to my house, so not quite as far as I have to ride on Saturday. 10 miles isn't a big deal, but my rear still doesn't like my bike seat much. Yay owieness.

Anyway, I also did a brisk walk at lunch, played a softball game, and ran for about 15 minutes before the game. My quads were all lactic acidy this morning in the pool, and my arms are really sore now. Yes, I realize I'm a wuss. :p

That set up there is a little wacky, but that's because Evan wanted to cut down our 500s to 400s and we bargained with him to leave those and cut some of the 100s instead. Which is good, becuase I can definitely use the distance training before this weekend. They were a little rough, but not too horrible. I think I can manage 300 more continuous meters.

I have a hockey game tonight and plan to ride my bike Thursday and swim Friday morning. The triathlon starts at 7:55 on Saturday, and I have a feeling I'll be done by some time between 9:30 and 10:00. I swiw a 50 (yard) free in about :55 when I'm pacing myself, and 800 meters is around 900 yards (so 18 50s), which would estimate my swim time to be about 16:30. I have a feeling it will be closer to 18:00 because of the start (where I'm expecting to get kicked in the head a bunch and flail trying to get used to swimming in a) a pond, b) a wetsuit, c) a gigantic group of people). My cycling speed is about 4:15/mile, so the ten miles will be just about 43 minutes (give or take), and my 5K run is 32-35 minutes (depending on deadness), bringing my total to around an hour and forty minutes, plus transitions making it about 1:45 or so. I'm guessing.

Yeah, that all was mostly for me. I think I will be okay with it as long as I don't go over two hours, and manage to finish the thing without dying.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your triathlon! I don't like the part where everyone swims on top of each other either. What I usually do on an open water start is hang back behind the first wave of people and a little off to the side. Let the fast people and the overeager duke it out for position. It lets me swim more smoothly, with more space, and at my own pace. Plus half of the people making all that trouble up front end up gassing out and falling back pretty quickly. Once you get past the first 100-200m everyone will start to spread out by ability and you shouldn't have to worry about swimming in a crazy thrashing mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really good idea. I have a tendency to get out of the way in these situations (as far as the 5Ks I've done, I just wait back until I don't feel like I'm getting run over), so doing that here as well is probably not a bad idea. I'm not really trying to get a certain time or anything. This is my first one, so I just want to finish! Thank you for your advice/sharing your experience!

    Honestly, I'm a little terrified of swimming in a lake. I haven't done it at all in years, and never with the intention of actually going anywhere. There's just something about not being able to see the bottom. I'm sure I'll be fine, but that's where most of my anxiety is coming from!

    ReplyDelete