Wednesday, January 14, 2009

3550 (25150)

300 swim (warmup)
150 kick (warmup)
200 drill/swim x 25 (:15 rest)
8 x 50
2 x 50 on 1:10
2 x 50 on 1:05
2 x 50 on 1:00
2 x 50 on :55
250 kick (with fins)
8 x 100 odd kick, even swim (with fins)
50 easy
3 x (2 x 50 fast, 150 moderate, :30 rest after each)
400 pull (warmdown)
200 back kick (with fins + flipturns, warmdown)
50 back kick easy (warmdown)

Total: 3550

I still can't count, ha. I try really hard to keep track of my yardage while I'm swimming, so that I can do an appropriate amount of warmdown to get me close to 3200-3300 yards. I was having such a hard time doing the math and keeping up with my laps and intervals today, I ended up doing about 250 more warmdown than I'd decided I needed. Oops.

I was late (as usual), so I missed about 150 in the warmup (50 more kick plus 100 drill). I ended up making up the 50 kick on that 250 with fins because of more counting fail (it was supposed to be a 200). The rest I was able to keep up with (and/or lead my lane in) without too much trouble, though I did miss the interval on my last 50 free on :55 by three seconds. Bah.

Coming into practice this morning, I was worried about the state of my left knee. I hyper-extended it pretty badly in a hockey tournament a couple of summers ago, and then managed to re-injure it playing in a volleyball game on Monday night. I was hobbling pretty good then, and had to wear a brace all day yesterday, so I was a little concerned with being able to kick and such in the pool today.

It turned out to not be much of a problem at all. It seems like the joint only complains when it's bearing weight, so as long as I remembered to not push off the wall with it, I didn't have any issues. Of course now that I'm out of the pool I'm limping again. I think this means I should just stay in the water all day. :)

Also, I feel like I should mention how much improved my breathing is, now that I'm back on asthma maintenance medication. I don't suffer from the kind of asthma that you traditionally associate with gasping "attacks", but I do experience difficulty breathing easily with enough frequency that it's something I want to correct. Taking a maintenance medication reduces irritation to my lung tissue and effectively makes my breathing more effortless (which I'm assuming is normal for people who don't have asthma or similar breathing problems). In terms of swimming, it gives me a greater ability to breathe in on each breath, meaning more oxygen in my lungs and less oxygen debt in my limbs, which means less pain and more endurance.

Blah blah blah, what I'm basically saying here is ++Advair. Even if I have to pay $720 a year for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment