Saturday, January 3, 2009

2900 (6200)

4 x 200 (200 swim / 200 kick / 200 drill / 200 swim)
8 x 25 (2 x (25 half easy / half fast // 25 x half fast / half easy // 25 build // 25 sprint))
8 x 125 on 2:20 (-50)
3 x 250 fin kick (3 x 75 kick / 25 underwater fly kick)
4 x 50 fast (last 50 relay)

Total: 2900

So originally the last bit was supposed to be 6 x 50 fast and then 6 x 25 sprint, but our coach was in the pool with us and he kept changing it. First it he decided we should do 4 x50 and 8 x 25, then he changed the last of the four 50s to a relay. Which, in a word, sucked. I had to lead off in my lane (mostly because I don't know how to go off the blocks yet), and even at the top of a workout I'm not even remotely fast. I was swimming my ass off but was still probably 15 yards behind Walter in the other lane. My teammates tried to catch us up, but it never happened (even when Carl tried to give us a bump and went in 25 yards early, heh).

I was dead after that 50. I managed to get myself back on the deck, but I definitely couldn't stand up. I'm sure no one was upset with me (because, obviously, it's just practice), but I was definitely a little embarrassed. I'm better than I used to be, and I've only been doing this a month, but I honestly can't wait until I can start keeping up with everyone. I think it won't be too far off, because I was actually keeping up with Alex (one of my usual lanemates) today until the turns because he can do flipturns and I don't do them on laps yet because they tire me out too much. But, I'm improving. I can't really ask for more than than, can I?

After practice, the team went out for breakfast and it was a lot of fun. My teammates are all great people, and I got to learn a little bit more about some of them.

I'm still really glad I joined masters swimming, even if i've had some discouraging moments lately. That's life, I suppose, and what kind of person would I be if I didn't dust myself off and keep on trying? I love swimming, I'm working hard at it, and I refuse to give up, darn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment